Odyssey MAX® 10 FPGA and BLE Sensor Kit
Whether you are collecting and processing data, controlling a remote device, or just adding extra hardware processing to an industrial or IoT design, MAX 10 FPGAs offer outstanding value and have the features and capability you need to achieve your design goals.
The kit includes both the MAX 10 FPGA board and the Bluetooth® SMART Sensor board. They can be used singly or together, giving the designer many choices of processing capability when planning and developing their system.
NEW VIDEO: Odyssey Kit Example Applications: Track Rover and Quadcopter Watch Now
VIDEO: Odyssey MAX 10 FPGA & BLE Sensor Kit Demo Watch Now
VIRTUAL WORKSHOP: Getting Started with FPGA Designs for the Odyssey MAX 10 FPGA and BLE Sensor Kit View Now
Odyssey MAX 10 FPGA and BLE Sensor Kit
Block Diagram [click here to enlarge]
Explore the advantages of Altera MAX 10 FPGAs! The Mpression Odyssey MAX 10 FPGA and BLE Sensor Kit is ideal for doing proof-of-concept experiments using this Bluetooth® SMART (also called Bluetooth Low Energy or BLE) enabled development platform.
Odyssey MAX 10 FPGA Board
- Uses a non-volatile Altera MAX 10 FPGA
- Full access to all MAX 10 FPGA features, including:
- Dual-configuration: MAX 10 FPGAs provide a single-on-die Flash memory that supports dual-configuration, for true fail-safe upgrades.
- Analog Blocks: Integrated analog blocks feature a temperature-sensing diode and an analog-to-digital converter (ADC).
- Instant-on: MAX 10 FPGAs can be the first usable device on a system board to control bring-up of high-density FPGAs, ASICs, ASSPs, and processors.
- DSP blocks: As a non-volatile FPGA with DSP, MAX 10 FPGAs are ideal for high-performance, high-precision DSP applications.
- Access to powerful soft IP such as the NIOS II 32-bit embedded processor
- DIP form factor with Arduino shield expansion compatibility
- Microphone, LEDs and switches for user input and output
- Sensor expansion through I2C compatible interface
Learn more about the Odyssey MAX 10 FPGA board and the devices used: View MAX 10 FPGA Teardown
Odyssey Bluetooth SMART Sensor Board
The Mpression Odyssey Bluetooth SMART Sensor Board is ideal for doing proof-of-concept experiments using this Internet of Things development platform (IoT eval kit). It is included in the Odyssey MAX 10 FPGA and BLE Sensor Kit.
- Broadcom Bluetooth® SMART (BLE) connectivity module
- Silicon Labs UV and ambient light, proximity, heart rate, and blood oximetry sensor
- Silicon Labs temperature and humidity sensor
- Analog Devices Accelerometer
- Silicon Labs low-power USB-enabled EFM32 Gecko microcontroller
- Sensor expansion through I2C compatible interface
You can also learn about the parts on the Bluetooth SMART Sensor board: View BLE Sensor Teardown
The Odyssey Bluetooth SMART Sensor Board can be used in a stand-alone battery configuration when powered by the Odyssey Battery Board.
Buy Your Odyssey MAX 10 FPGA and BLE Sensor Kit
Customers in other global regions can contact their local Macnica company from our Global Network
Your Odyssey MAX 10 FPGA and BLE Sensor Kit comes with the MAX 10 FPGA board connected to the Bluetooth SMART Sensor Board. To start using your kit:
- Go to the web utility at https://odyssey.m-pression.com and register.
- Using your Smartphone, download your Mpression Odyssey Smartphone App
- Power up your Odyssey MAX 10 Evaluation Kit by connecting it to a micro-USB cable (cable not included) connected to a power source such as a laptop or wall adapter.
- Start the Mpression Odyssey Smartphone App
- Select the Odyssey board from the list of advertising Bluetooth devices
- Select the personality of your choice in the app
- Interact with the Odyssey using the app
Mpression Odyssey Smart Phone App
Create a Smart Phone Interface App Without Writing Any Code
Use our phone app set up and control your MAX 10 FPGA and BLE Sensor Kit. You can control the FPGA through the app without creating custom user interface hardware as well as run experiments with different sensors and process data. With our phone app web portal, you can also personalize your app to select sensor parameters to be measured and how you want to display them. The app is free and is available for Android and iPhone.
Download the Android version of the Odyssey smarphone app: Download Android app
Download the iOS version of the Odyssey smarphone app: Download iOS app
Access the Odyssey Web Utility: Click Here
The Odyssey MAX 10 & BLE Sensor Kit has pre-loaded personalities that combine a reference design and smart phone interface. With these personalities, you can quickly access and control the MAX 10 FPGA and sensors on the Odyssey Bluetooth SMART sensor board. Information for each personality will highlight what the functions are and information about the sensors or other devices being used.
For more information on Odyssey personalitities: Personalities Overview
Odyssey Kit FAQs: View FAQs
Odyssey Documentation: View Documentation
MAX 10 FPGA Information
- MAX 10 FPGA Overview and Virtual Tour Video [click here]
Macnica offers short 2-10 minute videos to help you get up and running quickly with your Odyssey Bluetooth SMART Sensor Kit. These videos currently include these topics:
Macnica offers vWorkshops with lab exercises to teach you how to implement designs on your Odyssey MAX 10 FPGA & BLE Sensor Kit and use the smartphone app to control it.
Initial Bluetooth SMART vWorkshops include:
- Getting Started with FPGA Designs for the Odyssey MAX 10 FPGA and BLE Sensor Kit View Now
- Bluetooth SMART Introduction and Concepts View Now
- The WICED SMART Bluetooth Environment View Now
- Build Your Own WICED SMART Bluetooth LE Device View Now
For the complete list of available Bluetooth SMART workshops with full descriptions: [click here]
WICED WiFi vWorkshops will also be available (dates TBD)
[Download] Odyssey User Guide
[Download] Odyssey Offload Processing User Reference v1.2 (for v2.0 firmware)
[Click Here] Odyssey Software Downloads
[Download] White Paper: Heart Rate Monitoring with the Mpression Odyssey BLE Sensor Board and Silicon Labratories Si1147 Sensor
[Download] MAX 10 FPGA board schematic (max10_board_revb1p04.pdf)
[Download] MAX 10 FPGA board bill of materials (max10_board_b_bom_revB1p04.xlsx)
[Download] MAX 10 FPGA board assembly drawing (MAX10-DIP-BRD_Rev-B1_ASSY.pdf)
[Download] BLE Sensor board schematic (BLE_SENSOR_DEMO_C.pdf)
[Download] BLE Sensor board bill of materials (ble_sensor_demo_bom_revc2.xlsx)
[Download] BLE Sensor board assembly drawing (BLE-SENSOR_REV-C_ASSY.pdf)
[Download] Battery board schematic (BATTERY_BOARD_C.pdf)
[Download] Battery board bill of materials (battery_board_revc1.xlsx)
[Download] Battery board assembly drawing (BATTERY_BRD_REV-C_ASSY.pdf)
Supported By Our Supplier Partners and IP Developers
We have design partners that can help you with your IoT project. Check out our partners page.[click here]